Sunday, July 25, 2010

7 weeks done


7 weeks down and 9 to go. Almost half way there. Runners World had a great daily quote this week - "You have a choice. You can throw in the towel, or you can use it to wipe the sweat off of your face" Since I started running there have been a couple of times that I have been close to throwing in the towel while I have been running. When this happens I try to think about why I am running and do I want to quit because I am really hurting or is just laziness. So far it has always been because of laziness and I have used the towel to wipe my face and kept going. It feels good when you keep going and finish even though you didn't think you could.

This week of runs did not start off well. Monday was warm so I was trying to wait till about 8 to run when it would have cooled off. About 7 David said it was getting dark already and then I heard the thunder. I got into my running gear real quick and started off but I only got in a little over 2 miles before I saw the lightening coming straight out of the sky and that was my cue to go home. We got a real old fashioned thunder storm, I figured it would pass and I would be able to finish but mother nature had other ideas and I was done for the night. 2.1 is better than nothing is what I am telling myself.

Tuesday night David and I headed to the gym. I was trying to decide if I wanted to run outside or on the track when mother nature again interfered. Just about the time we pulled into the parking lot the skies opened up and it flat out pored rain. We waited in the car till it let up a little and I went and did 4 miles on the track. It ended up being a really good run. Got some speed work in and I felt really strong when I was done.

The John's XC 5K was Wednesday night in Versailles. I have done one other race over grass and I knew I was not real crazy about it but since John's sponsors the running group I run with and I knew there would be people from the group there I wanted to go do it. I had talked Cherri into doing it with me, as I have said she hates the heat and it was just a tad warm(others said it was out and out hot) and the course was hilly. (As my friend Marty said, if I say it is hilly it must be hilly because I like hills.) I didn't set as good a time as I had hoped I would but I did ok and ended up 4th in the age group. Didn't win even one door prize but they did throw some stuff to the audience and I snagged two pairs of socks and David snagged a tshirt(my size). My other prize was my first blister from running. Not a bad one but it did hurt a little. Afterwards we went to Subway with Rick and Cherri to enjoy some sub sandwiches. Ran into two other runners there and we had a good time eating and talking.

Thursday's run was at the horse park with Cherri and Marty. Did 4 miles and felt really good. When I took my first steps I realized my legs were a little tight and I figure that is the result of run on the grass the night before working my legs in new ways.

Saturday dawned warm and dark, 5:30 am is early to start running but if you want to beat the heat that's what you do. Cherri, Marty, Chris and I met at the Horse Park and started off. Cherri wanted to do 7 and Chris and Marty were just going to see how the felt. We hadn't gone very far when I realized I hadn't finished filling my water bottles up, darn!!! I have been filling the bottles about half way the night before and freezing them and then filling the rest of the way in the morning. So all I had was the half that was frozen. I didn't want to make everyone go back so I was trying to ration out my fluid but I began to get thirsty. I started watching the barns, usually there is water spigots but you might know I couldn't find one. As we went by the stadium I did find a water fountain so I was able to fill up my bottle and get a good drink. Really helped. When we got back to the church, I filled up my bottles, said goodbye to Cherri and Chris, Marty and I headed out again. They had thought they would do 10 but when it was time to turn around they were feeling strong and they ended up doing the whole 12 with me. Good friends are one's who show up at 5:30am and run with you.

When I got home my wonderful hubby had us omelettes for breakfast and then we headed to Chattanooga to bring Chandler home. I think he had a good time with my family the last two weeks but is glad to be home.

So another week gone, this week I up the miles on Wednesday to 8 and this coming Saturday there is 18 on the schedule. I am a little nervous but I keep telling myself that I have done 16 I can do 18. Let you know next week how it goes.

till next week
C

No great finds this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment