Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July - Week four in the books


It is the 4th of July in 2010. I love the 4th. I love this country and all it stands for, we have problems but what country doesn't?




I had a pretty good week. I started off by saying goodbye to David and Chandler on Sunday afternoon. They went off to boy scout camp and left me alone for the week. I thought it sounded great, a whole week to myself. After the first night of sleeping alone I was ready for them to come home. The house was so quiet and it is hard to cook for one.




Monday it was still warm but my five miles went well. I did all my training runs this week in and around my neighborhood and I really enjoy running there. Tuesday it started cooling off and Tuesday and Wednesday were great runs. On Tuesday as I was running I found about 8 silly bandz for Chandler. Wednesday my legs were feeling a little fatigued and I intended to do an easy 11 minute per mile pace but when I got done I had done a 10:28. Didn't even feel like I was going that fast. I did try to walk during my walk time at a faster pace so I am sure that helped me improve my time. I am feeling really good that I can at least equal Oprah's time if I keep training this good. Thursday there was 4 miles on the schedule. My leg's were still feeling fatigued and I knew I was doing th 10k Saturday so I was trying to decide if I wanted to take the night off to rest up or go on when I realized the yard probably should be mowed, it wasn't bad but it would be Tuesday before David or Chandler could do it, so I mowed the yard for my exercise. We have an old push mower so it was a good workout.




Friday night I went to Shepherdsville for the closing of boy scout camp and to bring David and Chandler home. I had to drive in Louisville rush hour traffic to get there and that is NOT fun. By the time I got there my nerves were frazzled, I don't know how people do that every day. The camp is a really beautiful place and it seemed like they both really enjoyed themselves. By the time we got home and I got in bed it was midnight and I had a 5:30 wake up time for the 10k. But it was worth it, I think Chandler appreciated that I came.




Satuday morning was the Bluegrass 10,000 in Lexington. My running buddy Cherri and I had not yet managed to do a race together. After all the training we went through together for the half we couldn't get together in the crowd and ended up running seperately. We did the Krispy Kreme challenge but I was trying for a really good time and we didn't run that one together. For the Bluegrass I was determined to do it with her. She kept encouraging me to go on ahead and leave her behind but I had decided I was not going to worry about my time or pace I was just going to have fun. I had heard from several of the striders that this was a fun race and they were right. The race starts in downtown and winds around town for a couple of miles before heading out Richmond Rd to the Shriners hospital where we turned around and came back downtown to finish. The course was beautiful and the crowd support was tremendous. We took our time and really enjoyed it. I was surprised how many people I saw that I knew. There was two men dressed as Buzz Lightyear and Woody from Toy Story, there were a couple of Uncle Sams and a fireman were some of the costumes I saw. Towards the end of the race there was a priest blessing us as we ran by. This was absolutely, hands down, my favorite race ever and helped calm my nerves about the marathon some.


Sunday I spent the day at the 4th of July celebration at Mammoth Cave which was a really fun time. Week four is done and now I start week 5.


Till next week

C




I am going to start a running total of my finds while running:


wrench

cordless drill

hubcap

8 silly bandz

a total of 41 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment