Thursday, August 12, 2010

7 weeks to go

This week was all about anticipating the 20 miler on Saturday. I tried not to think about it or dwell on it but it was always there in my head, 20 miles on Saturday. I was trying to decide the best place to run when Toyota stepped in and told David he had to work so that told me I was going to be running in Georgetown but will go into that later.

Monday started off as a bad day. Lot's of little issues, I didn't get home till almost an hour later than I had planned and I was stressed. Cherri, Marty and I were going to Frankfort to run with a friend of Cherri's and I knew we wouldn't be doing anywhere near the 5 miles on my training schedule. I had thought I would get out and do a mile or two before they picked me up but I got in a groove and got going and did a little over 4 miles in 10:03 per mile. Then they picked me up and we went to a park in Frankfort that has a really nice trail and did a little over a mile. It really helped me destress.

Tuesday was speed work at the track. Chandler wanted to go with me but after we got there he got to feeling bad so I got in my 4 and we left, no weight workout for me this week.

Wednesday is the long run, 8 on the schedule. I went to the Horse Park and did 4 by myself, good pace, good run and then met Cherri and Marty for the second 4. Marty was having trouble with her leg so we took it slow and had a nice run. It was dark, good and dark, by the time we finished though and I didn't like being there in the park in the dark. Cherri had promised to protect me so I stayed close to her.

Thursday my legs were feeling fatigued and I was really beginning to worry about the 20 miles on Saturday so I gave myself the day off. It was such a nice day though that David, Chandler and I went for a 5 mile bike ride. It was a nice ride and not real hard but I think I tweaked something in my left hamstring as it hasn't been right since then.

Friday is my regular day off but because my hamstring was bothering me a little I decided to go for a nice leisurely walk. I didn't even go a mile and by the time I got home my hamstring was hurting. This worried me immensely. How could I do 20 miles with my hamstring hurting like that. I think I had a mini panic attack as I worried over the 20 miles and my leg.

Cherri had volunteered to do the first 8 or 9 with me. Since David had to work that left me with what to do about Chandler. David and I decided he was old enough to stay by himself while I ran but I didn't want to be to far from home so Cherri came to Georgetown and off we went. I was very conscious of my hamstring but it felt ok. In fact it hurt less running than it did when I was walking. I did the first 9 with Cherri, thank goodness for her, and we headed home. I filled up my water bottles and off I went again. I felt ok, the weather was very nice, in fact a few times I was really cool and I was trying to not think about the total but just a mile at a time. At about mile 18 I ran out of water so I called Chandler and he met me outside and brought me some more water and I finished up. I probably walked more of the last mile than I ran. It seemed like I was having a problem breathing and it was getting warmer by then. When it was over I really could not believe that I had done it. If I didn't have my Garmin registering 20 miles I am not sure I would believe it. I have to say I am really proud of myself for doing it and hope I can keep it up for 6 more miles when it counts.

till next week - which is a 9 miles on Sunday because I will be doing the Midsummers Nights Run 5k on Saturday night.

found this week - 28 cents

No comments:

Post a Comment