Monday, August 23, 2010

35 days and counting


Oh my gosh, can it be only 35 days till I see this sign at the finish? For some reason 35 days sounds lots shorter than 5 weeks. Had a very good week. Even though I knew another 20 miler was coming it didn't freak me out quite as bad as the first one did.




Monday night started off with a good run. I wanted to do some good hills so I mapped out a new course in the neighborhood. 5.06 miles in 51:22 - it wasn't real hot and I liked the new course.


Tuesday was a 4 miler and I wanted to try for some speed. Did my usual in the neighborhood route and did 4.2 miles in 41:24. The weather was good and the run was great.


Wednesday night Cherri and I went down to John's Run Shop and attended a Running Clinic put on by Gary Ditsch of Endurance Base Camp. They have been doing them most of the summer but this was the first time I could get down there. I really enjoyed it. He showed us some great exercises and stretches along with analysing our form. It seems like I look down to much when I run. SO...


Thursday night I tried to put into use everything I learned on Wednesday night. I was supposed to do 9 miles on Wednesday and 4 on Thursday but since I had attended the clinic Wednesday I did the 9 miles Wednesday night. I headed out the bypass towards the interstate trying really hard to remember all I learned. Arms high and tight, lean forward, foot fall and of course keep my head up. It must work because I had the best run I have had in a long time. 9 miles at 9:55 per mile, that is an awesome time for me for that long of a run. I was really jazzed when I got home, felt like I could conquer the world.


Friday is an off day. We went bowling with some friends to raise money for an adoption. Some friends of ours are leaving this week to bring home their new son and we all had fun.


Saturday started at 5:30 am. Cherri met me at 5:30 and we started off, in the dark, for our 9 miles together. We ran out to the interstate and back, good run together. Just as we got back to my house we saw a bunny beside the road. It was obviously a pet bunny and I knew Cherri would go back and try and help it. We got to my house and parted ways. I filled up my water bottles and started off again. After I did 6 miles I headed home to fill up my bottles again and as I got near the house there was Cherri, police and animal control trying to rescue the bunny. They had caught it and was taking it away as I got there. I filled up my water bottles and headed out for the final 5 miles. It didn't seem that warm but the humidity was getting to me and I was drinking more than usual. With about 3 miles to go it started getting cooler and the sky started getting darker and sure enough there came the rain. With about 2 miles to go the skies opened up and poured. Strangely enough it felt good and since there was no lightening I just kept running. Was soaked to the skin when I got home but I had done it. 2nd 20 miler done in a pretty good time and stronger than the first one. One more 20 miler in 2 weeks and then it is taper time. I was pretty sore when I got done but luckily I had 2 free massages coming and I scheduled one for Saturday afternoon and so I let Nora work some of the soreness out of me. It felt so good, wish I could have massage after every hard run. One free one left and I am going to save it for after the marathon.


Sunday was about rest and laundry. I didn't sleep well Friday night so a good 11 hrs sleep on Saturday night felt good. Then the day was spent catching up the laundry and playing with my genealogy habit.


This week is about another clinic and a good run over the Iron Horse half marathon course on Saturday and hopefully breakfast out with friends.


Till next week

C

No comments:

Post a Comment