Tuesday, August 24, 2010

4 weeks to go


Monday - the nerves hit. Monday afternoon at work, printing pedigrees, which doesn't take a lot of concentration I got to thinking about the race and ended up thinking to much about the race. Before I knew it I was in a full blown panic, tears and all. I was asking myself what was I thinking and I was dwelling on the fact that I won't have done a full 26 miles before the race and everyone says the last 6 is the hardest. I called the best runner I know, Carol at the gym, and she talked me down. She has done lots of races, she is very fast, and I knew she would know what to say and she did. Felt better after talking with her.

Monday night is a 5 miler and I have been doing my hillier run on Mondays so off I set. Probably not my best idea, my legs didn't bother me during the day but as I got to running I could feel them, fatigue. Probably not smart to do a hilly 5 after a 20 miler on Saturday. I pushed ahead, told myself not to go for a fast time, just finish so that's what I did. When I got home I iced both of my knees and went to bed early. I try to remember that rest is as important as running.


Tuesday I woke up very sore, especially my right knee. I went ahead and got on my stationary bike and did my stretching and then after I got dressed for work I iced my right knee again. During the day it seemed to ease and I was feeling pretty good when I got home. I had been telling myself all day that I should give myself the day off and I had decided that was what I was going to do BUT... When I walked outside to leave work it was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon and my first thought was "I have to get out and run in this". When I got home I did a short little run on the sidewalk and decided I would be ok. Tuesdays are 4 milers and I told myself I would take it easy. David tried to talk me out of it but I promised him I would take it easy and if I got to hurting I would turn for home. It was a good run. I didn't push to hard and for the first time in months I didn't wear my Striders Singlet but went for a shirt with sleeves. I did think of wearing a long sleeve shirt because I thought it was that cool but of course once I got started I got warm and was glad I didn't put on long sleeves.



The running clinic at Johns was on Wednesday night. It was only me so I got a one on one session with Gary and it was great. I think I can really tell an improvement in my running just after two weeks of working with him. The form tips and the strides really help.


Thursday was a busy day. I needed to do a 9 mile run but I had to work all day and get to a meeting at 7 pm. I rushed home, changed my clothes and got started. Ater I did 8 miles I decided to stop and get home. That way I had time to ice my knee and eat my supper without rushing around like a chicken with my head cut off. It was a good run. I stayed in the neighborhood and set a really good pace.


Friday was a rest day and I needed it. My legs were feeling fatigued and tired. David and Chandler were off camping with the scouts so I got a manicure and had the night to myself.


Hills was word of the day for Saturday. Cherri and I wanted to run part of the Iron Horse half marathon course so we planned to run in Midway on Saturday. I had 12 on the schedule but I was staying flexible till I saw how I handled the hills. Bob and Chris met us at 6 and off we started. It was a great run. It is a really pretty course, going thru town and by horse farms. We saw some weanlings running in a field and a bunch of geese. We ended up doing 11 miles and both Cherri and I handled the hills. No problem. (This also helped calm some of my marathon nerves, the marathon course is hilly and I handled the hills ok so I am hoping that means I will handle the marathon hills also.) Afterwards we all headed to IHOP for a good breakfast and good talk. Cherri and I then headed over to check out the Swim, Bike, Run shop. Really neat store. I really think if I was a stronger swimmer I would have to try a triathlon.


Sunday is another rest day and I was glad. I had thought of taking a bike ride, it was so pretty outside but Cherri reminded me it is supposed to be a rest day and I have 39 miles to do this week so no bike ride.


This coming week is the hardest week mileage wise. After this I go into taper mode, which means the marathon is only 4 weeks away. I can't believe it is so close. When I started on June 7th it seemed so far away and I was terrified of 20 miles run but here I am 4 weeks away and 2 20 milers done with one to go. Keep your fingers crossed for me.


till next week

C


‎"If I can do that, there's probably not a lot I can't do."
Kenneth Feld of Ringling Bros circus talking about a marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment