Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I am a MARATHONER







I did it. I can't believe it and I am sure those of you who have known me longer since before January 2009, when I started the diet, also can't believe I did it.


When I ended last weeks post I wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to do the marathon and all week long I was worried about even being able to start. After consulting with all my running buddies I decided to go to Akron and at least start. If I couldn't do it I could always pull out and not finish but I had put in to much work to at least not go see what I could do.


I took the whole week off, I didn't run, ride my bike or anything. It was very hard and I was worried I would lose some of my conditioning but everyone told me it would be ok and I needed to rest my knee and leg. By Friday my knee was not hurting at all but the lower outside of my leg was extremely sore. My trainer figures that when I ran on Sunday I was compensating for my knee hurting and I changed my stride and made a muscle sore.

Friday morning we headed to Akron. Everyone had told me the course was hilly but the drive up thru Ohio is flat. I kept wondering where are the hills, let me tell you that they are all in Akron. Our hotel was downtown, a few blocks from everywhere I needed to be so it was very handy. There were signs all over the hotel and downtown about the marathon. After we arrived at the hotel David and Chandler went to play in the pool and I iced my leg. Then we headed to the expo. The expo was really great. I picked up my packet and jacket and then we went to the pasta dinner. It was a buffet, set up in a conference room, come and go as you wanted. The food was ok and they had speakers while we were eating. After we ate we went back up to the expo to look around better. It was crowded but I think everything you could want running related was there. I was able to meet Dana Casanave. She is an amazing woman who is doing a marathon a week to raise money for Aids Orphans in Africa. I also bought a pair of compression sleeves for my legs. David thought they would really help my leg so I tried on a pair and they did feel pretty good so I decided to try them. Then it was back to the room for an early night and hopefully a good night's sleep.


I did sleep fairly well, considering, but 5 am is still early. Chandler didn't like the 5 am at all. We got up and I started to get all my stuff together and get us packed up. I was plenty nervous and I had hoped to get to the finish line around 6 but it was a little later and I think it was better because I didn't have as much time to stand around and fret. When we got down to the lobby it was packed with people doing the race and it was fun to be in that atmosphere and all of us be in the same boat. After David and Chandler packed the car we headed to the start.


There was so many people. In total there were 13,000 runners. (Not all of them were at the start line because there were relay teams in the race but there were several people at the start line.) I started trying to find the 5 hr pace team. Dana had told me the night before that she was leading that group and I felt like that with my leg still sore that would about be my pace.


I have to tell on myself here. As I was looking for the group I decided I probably ought to go to the bathroom one last time and I started looking for the porta potties. David could see them over everyone's heads so we headed towards them. It was dark and as we arrived I saw people coming and going from them so as someone came out I went in. When I came out David asked me if Iknew I had just made alot of people mad. I asked him how and he told me that there had actually been long lines for the porta potties and I had just cut in front of a whole bunch of people. I was really embarrassed, I didn't do it on purpose, I swear I did not see the lines but there wasn't anything I could do about it then. (Lesson learned, next time look and see if there is a line.)


Then I hugged and kissed my guys good bye and got in line. By then I only had to wait for a few minutes before the race started. I was so far back in line that just as I got to the start line I heard them announce that the lead runners were already past mile 1. Thank goodness for chip timers. And then we were at the start and I set off on my first marathon. I don't even know how to tell you about the 26.2 miles - here are some thoughts:


- at first I was really worried about my leg but after a few steps I could feel that it was going to be ok, sore, but if I stayed in my stride and was careful I could handle it.


- I started off in a jacket(I bought it at Goodwill so if I needed to shed it I could and they donate the shedded items to a local charity). It was 58 degrees when we started and somewhere between mile 1 and 2 I had to come out of the jacket. I tried to drop it off the course so no one would trip over it behind me.


- the early miles went by incredibly fast. In fact we got to mile 1 so quick that I looked down at my watch thinking I must be going faster than I needed to but I was at 11:30 per mile which is a good pace for me and my leg. Until about mile 7 or 8 I couldn't believe how fast each mile seemed to come up but after that it seemed more normal and by the time I got to mile 23 I didn't think the last 3 were ever going to be over.


- about mile 4 I realized that my leg was going to be ok, sore but doable, and I was going to be able to finish the marathon that I had worked so hard for and I have to admit I was in tears and there were a couple of times along the way that I would think to myself that I was going to be able to say I did a marathon and I would get teary again.


- the first miles were downtown and not anything real interesting, although I did see a dead snake in the road. At about mile 11 we turned onto the tow path along the Erie Canal and that was gorgeous scenery. I didn't like the surface, crushed packed limestone but it was great scenery for about 4 miles. As we came off the towpath we started up a hill in a local park and I mean a hill. It went up and up and up for a little over 2 miles. It was a pretty run, lots of big trees and a creek running alongside the road but it was a heck of a hill. Then we were into neighborhoods. The people were great. They would cheer us on - many of them would look at our bibs and call us by name. Some of them had music set up and were partying as we ran by.


- Except for one cranky driver, who was yelling about not being able to move, the people were all great. The volunteers were also terrific. There was lots of water stations and plenty of volunteers at each one so that you could just grab water and go. The whole city really supports the race.


- Chandler did the Kids Fun Run while I was running and really enjoyed it. He got a finishers medal also. After he did the run he and David found some breakfast and then they stood near the finish and cheered on the runners.


- At about mile 25 I began to believe that there wasn't going to be a mile 26, we were just going to keep running and running but then I saw David and Chandler by the side of the road yelling for me and they told me that I was actually very close to the finish. They were yelling for me to finish strong so I mustered up what I had left and ran into the stadium and across the finish. The race organizer, Jim, stands there and shakes everyone's hand. He is a really great guy. Then I got my medal and my photo taken with it and a space blanket. Then it was time to find some water and something to eat. They gave every runner a bag with a bagel, banana, pretzels and bar in it. I think that was the best banana I have ever ate. Then a cold chocolate milk, which is actually a good recovery drink.


- I cannot even begin to tell you all my thoughts and emotions. As I was running I thought of family and friends who were pulling for me. I sang to myself. I tried to imagine my running buddy Cherri there with me, helping me get through. (She doesn't feel it but she ran the marathon with me in my thoughts). I really didn't feel bad until about mile 23 and then I began to feel tired and like those last 3 miles would never be over. But I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and before I knew it I was done.


- I didn't do as good time wise as I wanted. I had hoped to beat Oprah's time of 4 hrs and 30 minutes but considering the problems I had with my leg and the fact that I had a wreck just a week and half before the race I am telling myself that I did ok. (A gentleman I made friends with on facebook told me instead of trying to beat Oprah's marathon time I should try and keep my weight off and beat her there, something she hasn't been able to do.)


- Am I going to do another one? I can't believe I am saying this but yes I am thinking of doing another one. I am really disappointed with my time and I would like to find a flatter course and if my leg is 100% see what I can really do.


So there it is. I did it. It's been an interesting experience from start to finish and I am so proud of myself and glad I did it.


Cyndi


PS - afterwards - the word of the day for Sunday and Monday was SORE. Sunday worse than Monday and now today, Tuesday I feel almost normal again and hope to get a run in tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment