Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Week Two


Set your goals high because what a person accomplishes is in proportion to what they attempt. Mitchell Naufell




The end of week 2. I started off the week filled with self doubt. Could I do the miles and training, what was I thinking, I can't do 26 miles, were just some of the thoughts going through my head even as I was doing my run Monday night. Monday and Tuesday night runs were WARM, maybe even hot. I ran Monday at Toyota while David and Chandler worked out in the gym. I ran the 5k route and it was a good run. On Tuesday I waited till later, to see if it would cool off, got in 5 miles. I didn't try and set a great time, just trying to get in the miles. After Wednesday nights run I was really filled with doubt. I was tired and did not want to go run but made myself do it. For some reason my legs were really sore, felt like they were made of concrete and every step took effort. So I didn't push it, did my run/walk pace and got in 6.23 miles. Thursday nights run was great. I met Rick and Cherri at the horse park and we did 4 miles. They hadn't done as many miles as I have been doing so after about 2 miles I speeded up a bit and finished a little ahead of them. The horse park is probably my favorite place to run, peaceful, some shade, the horses, creeks and ponds, it's just a great place to run. Friday is a rest day and Chandler and I took David to Furlongs(a local cajun restaurant) for Father's Day. We set on the patio and had some great food while we enjoyed the evening and each other's company.


Saturday night was the 5k at the Toyota Fitness Center. I love the people there. They have been such a huge part of my weight loss. Brandi, was my trainer while I was losing, she has since moved on to another job. Meghan, Neil, Shawn, Carol, all of them, they are all great. I have been really looking forward to this 5k. Running with so many people that I have trained with for a year now was fun. When it was first announced I had set myself a goal to do well, possibly even win my age group, but since my leg has been sore and I hadn't been able to do the speed work that I wanted to do I was just planning on finishing. It was warm at race time but I started off well and maintained a good pace, my leg didn't bother me hardly at all, finished in 28.28, not as good as my Girls on the Run time but pretty good and I thought I might be in top 3 of my age group. After the race they had fun races for kids 12 and under. Chandler participated in those. They first divided the kids into age groups and ran them off with a staggered start. Chandler won his age group easily. Then they had all the kids run at the same time for "fastest kids" and Chandler won again but this time he had a kid nipping right at his heels the whole way. He got cookies from McDonald's as his prize. Then they announced the winners of the 5k. I got 1st Female Masters and 1st in my age group. Since I knew alot of these people I know there were some good runners there so I was really shocked but proud of myself. After dinner at Cracker Barrel and posting my news on facebook I headed to bed, 7 miles on the schedule for Sunday morning.


I had thought I would be doing my 7 by myself but Cherri said she thought she was up for 7 so we met at 6 at the horse park and had a great run to end the week. We decided while we were running that we are going to do the Bluegrass 10,000, a 6k in Lexington on July 3rd. We have had several people in the running group tell us that this is a great run that goes thru downtown Lexington and thru the historic Richmond Road area.


Thus ended week 2, 29.9 miles, and after doing so well last night in the 5k I am feeling excited about the marathon. I have checked a book out of the library about running a marathon and feel like I am getting some good information and help so here I go into week 3, 31 miles on the training plan this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment