Sunday, June 13, 2010

Week One


The first week of training is over. It was a pretty good week. I had to fit my runs in around Chandler's tournament games. I got in all but one of the runs, total mileage, 29 miles.


I went to see Dr Allison on Wednesday about the pain in my leg. Even though it seemed better I am going to be running alot of miles and I didn't want to take a chance of hurting my leg. She diagnosed, Piriformis Syndrome. The piriformis muscle is deep in your butt and when inflamed it irritates the sciatica nerve and that was the pain I was having in my leg. She said it was fine to keep running, just listen to my body and I need to add some cross training and stretching. So that was good news.


My long run this week was 12 miles and I was really nervous about it. The longest run I have done since the half marathon was 9 miles. I wanted to run with the Striders at Todds Rd but no one else was doing 12 miles. Since I didn't have anyone who wanted to do 12 with me I decided if I was going to be running by myself I would stay and run in Gtown. Woke up and after a few minutes of moving around I thought I heard rain, sure enough, rain. I debated what to do. I know I don't melt and I could go ahead and run, it wasn't thundering or lightening. I decided to wait and few minutes and see what it did. About 6:15 the rain slowed down to a drizzle so I put on my pink hat, to keep the rain off of my glasses, and off I went. It drizzled on my for a few minutes and then the rain stopped till about mile 4 when it came a pretty good shower but didn't last long and I ran the rest of the way rain free. I felt pretty good till about mile 8 and I began to slow down and hurt a little but I was doing my run/walk so I kept going and managed to finish. My pace was a little slower than I wanted but overall a good run and I am proud of myself for getting out in the rain and doing it and finishing.


Today we went to Raven Run and did some hiking and had a picnic lunch, a really good day as a family. This week there is 31 miles on the schedule and a 5k on Saturday night. Chandler's ball season is over so it should be easier to get the runs in this week.


Later

C

No comments:

Post a Comment